To help the men and women of the United States get active and take steps toward healthier lives, the American Heart Association developed “Life’s Simple 7”—a series of simple lifestyle changes that can result in a longer, more fulfilling life. In this video, you can learn more about one of the most important steps in the series. Participating in physical activity for at least 30 minutes per day is proven to have a wide variety of physical and emotional benefits, from improved cardiac function to stress reduction and improved mood. Watch the video to find out some helpful ways to get active today.
Are you looking for more ways to improve your cardiovascular health? Contact MountainView Hospital of Las Vegas by calling (702) 233-5300 today. Our Heart and Vascular Care center is staffed with a team of highly trained and dedicated medical professionals.
Obesity is a serious health condition that can often be difficult to treat with diet and exercise alone. In many cases, weight loss surgery can be an excellent treatment for men and women struggling to lose weight and regain control of their health. According to the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, surgical weight loss can help to resolve a wide variety of the serious, chronic health conditions associated with morbid obesity, including diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, depression, and much more.
At MountainView Hospital of Las Vegas, our bariatric surgery specialists offer the full range of laparoscopic weight loss surgery procedures to help our patients lose weight with the shortest recovery time possible.
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
This procedure is effective in promoting weight loss by restricting the amount of food that the stomach can hold and inhibiting the absorption of fats and other nutrients. By creating a smaller stomach pouch, a patient feels full quickly, even with small meals. The ability of the small intestine to absorb nutrients is inhibited though rerouting the digestive tract to bypass a small amount of the intestines, thereby reducing the amount of calories taken in with each meal.
- Adjustable Gastric Banding
Like the Roux-en-Y procedure, the adjustable gastric band promotes weight loss through restricting the amount of food that the stomach can hold. Instead of surgically altering the stomach, however, a silicone band is placed around the top portion of the stomach to create a smaller pouch above and leaving the larger portion below.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
The sleeve gastrectomy procedure increases feelings of fullness and satiety and decreases appetite by removing about two-thirds of the stomach, forming it into a tube-like structure or “sleeve.” This procedure can promote weight loss without bypassing the intestines and altering the absorptive capability of the gastrointestinal tract.
With the amount of American men and women suffering from obesity on the rise, MountainView Hospital is dedicated to providing that care and support to those in need through advanced surgical weight loss procedures, and is also the only hospital in Nevada to offer Robotic Bariatric Surgery. If you are interested in finding an expert bariatric surgery specialist in the Las Vegas area, contact the MountainView Consult-A-Nurse referral line at (702) 233-5300 today. You can also find out more about our weight loss center by checking out our online brochure.
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
To find out more about healthy habits and other health topics discussed in our recent blogs, read through the links below or contact MountainView Hospital at (702) 233-5300.
- Water is essential for the body to function properly. Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website to learn about how much water you need to stay healthy.
- Are you getting the nutrients that you need? You can find out more about the essential nutrients that should be included in your daily meals on Nutrition.gov.
- Robotic surgical systems have revolutionized how many procedures are performed. The Oregon Health & Science University provides more information about these cutting-edge systems and their many benefits.
- Obesity is a common problem that can lead to the development of many chronic health conditions, including sleep apnea . This article from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute provides more information about the symptoms and treatments associated with sleep apnea.
- Type-II diabetes can also occur as a result of excess weight. Visit the American Diabetes Association website to find some helpful facts about this type of diabetes.
- When not diagnosed or managed properly, diabetes can lead to a serious eye condition known as diabetic retinopathy. This fact sheet found on the National Eye Institute website answers many frequently asked questions about this disease.
- Bariatric surgery can help patients to take control of their lives and work towards a healthier future. The American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery describes the benefits of weight loss surgery in more detail on their website.
- Deep vein thrombosis, or DVT, is a type of venous disease. Become more familiar with venous diseases by visiting the American Venous Forum.
- Deep vein thrombosis can lead to a sudden blockage of the pulmonary (lung) artery, which can lead to lung damage or death. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute provides more information on this condition, known as pulmonary embolism .
- Patients with heart failure may be at an increased risk of developing clots in the deep veins of the legs. The symptoms and warning signs of heart failure are described on the American Heart Association website.
Don’t forget! This Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., please join us for the Women Rock! Health Fair. We have some amazing raffle prizes- spa packages, iPods, gift baskets and more! We will see you there!
In the past, many surgical procedures could only be performed through wide, open incisions. With the development of robotic surgical systems, surgeons can now perform these same surgeries on a minimally invasive basis through incisions only centimeters wide. The arms of the daVinci® surgical robot have the ability to translate larger hand movements into smaller, more precise ones, while eliminating any hand tremble in the process.
In this video, you can see for yourself the precision and ability of the daVinci® Robotic Surgical System . With amazing dexterity, this technology is able to create origami that is the size of a dime!
If you are interested in learning more about the many benefits of robot-assisted surgical procedures, contact the specialists at MountainView Hospital of Las Vegas at (702) 233-5300.
For men and women who struggle with weight loss, bariatric surgery can be a powerful step on the road to a healthier, more fulfilling life. When combined with other healthy lifestyle changes, such as regular exercise and a balanced diet, weight loss surgery can be a great way to lose weight and keep it off. If you are considering bariatric weight loss surgery as an option to help change your life for the better, read on to learn more about the benefits of these procedures.
Patients who undergo bariatric surgery can experience improvement or resolution of many chronic medical conditions. According to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association , bariatric surgery patients show significant improvements in certain chronic medical conditions. In 76.8 percent of the patients tested with type-II diabetes, their condition went into remission after their treatment. Hypertension (high blood pressure) was eliminated in 61.7 percent of patients, and high cholesterol was reduced in more than 70 percent of patients. Sleep apnea, joint disease, infertility, and asthma were also dramatically improved in the patients studied.
Bariatric surgery patients can experience an improved quality of life. Losing weight will not only help patients to improve their physical health, but can also help to improve emotional and psychological health. Many patients who lose large amounts of weight through bariatric surgery will suffer from fewer symptoms of depression, anxiety, and fatigue. The resolution of sleep apnea symptoms allows many to get better rest, reducing stress and improving mental health.
The Surgical Weight Loss Center at MountainView Hospital is dedicated to providing our community of Las Vegas with a way to successfully overcome obesity. Our facility, along with our team of highly trained medical professionals, was named a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery for the level of care that we provide to our patients. If you would like to find out if you are a candidate for a bariatric procedure, contact MountainView today at (702) 233-5300.
- Facts about pregnancy with thyroid disease
- Southern Hills Hospital and MountainView Hospital Earn ‘Top Performer on Key Quality Measures’ Recognition from The Joint Commission
- The Sunrise Health System of Hospitals Awarded Re-certification as Primary Stroke Centers from The Joint Commission
- Tips for Getting through a Long Hospital Stay
- Changing Your Life After Heart Surgery