Asthma is a chronic lung disease characterized by the body’s inability to effectively move air in and out of the lungs. Asthma can be a potentially life-threatening condition; however, facilities such as MountainView Hospital can provide asthma patients with quality care to reduce and manage their symptoms. If you have been recently diagnosed with asthma, the following tips can help you take control of this disease.
- Ask questions. Especially when you first receive an asthma diagnosis, it is extremely important that you be proactive in asking your doctor about your condition. The physician’s role is not only to treat your asthma, but also to help you understand it. Never be afraid to speak up.
- Make a plan. Once you have a general understanding of your condition, you should work out a plan with your physician regarding the steps you both need to take to manage it. Not all asthma therapies are effective on each patient, so make sure that you and your doctor are creating a management plan that is specific to your needs.
- Keep track of your symptoms. Be cognizant of what happens to your body when having an asthma attack. Do you feel tightness in your chest? Do you get tired? Keeping track of your symptoms and presenting your findings to your physician will help him or her administer your medications more effectively.
- Discuss your medication options. Talk to your doctor about what prescriptions will work best to reduce your asthma symptoms. If one medication doesn’t seem to be effective, try another until you find one that can adequately manage your attacks.
- Eliminate your triggers. An asthma trigger can be anything, including allergens, exercise, or certain emotions. Become aware of what might be causing your asthma attacks and try to avoid them if possible.
- Educate yourself. Do some online research to see if you have a local asthma support group or other organization that can provide useful information regarding your condition. Many times, talking to fellow asthma sufferers can lead to learning about other effective methods for managing your symptoms.
Do you suffer from asthma? MountainView Hospital can help. No matter if you are recently diagnosed or have been dealing with your condition for years, our knowledgeable practitioners can help you manage your symptoms and live a healthier, more comfortable life. Call our Las Vegas facility at (702) 233-5474 to find out more about our asthma care services .